Virginia SPQA’s Award Program is its premier offering. Authorized in 1982 by Resolution, the United States Senate Productivity and Quality Award pre-dates the National Baldrige Program. The oldest continuous state program of its type, Virginia SPQA administers the Award Program on behalf of the Commonwealth of Virginia’s US Senators who serve as Honorary Chairpersons.
Organizations receive extraordinary learning associated by applying the Baldrige Excellence Framework self-assessment methodology through an award application. This effort, coupled with independent examiner feedback noting strengths and opportunities for improvement is a unique learning experience which if otherwise outsourced could easily translate to significant consultant costs. Receiving the SPQA Medallion Award is recognition of being among the best performing organizations in the Commonwealth and the District of Columbia. In addition to improving organizational pride, SPQA Medallion winners use the Baldrige Excellence Framework as a tool to help manage relationships with customers, stakeholders, and employees. More practically, winners can use their award to validate excellent performance with rating agencies and other independent entities.
Who May Apply
Businesses, large and small, and all organizations in the public, private, nonprofit, healthcare education and government sectors are eligible to apply. SPQA primarily serves organizations located in the District of Columbia or Commonwealth of Virginia; however, organizations in other U.S. states or territories may apply. Eligibility is intended to be as open as possible to all organizations.
Virginia SPQA Award
Although organizations apply for the Medallion for Performance Excellence, there are other levels which might be achieved. More information can be found in the Award Guide
- Commitment to Performance Excellence
- Progress in Performance Excellence
- Achievement in Performance Excellence
- Medallion for Performance Excellence
- Award for Continuing Excellence (ACE)
Needed to Apply
While Virginia SPQA uses the Baldrige Excellence Framework as the basis for its award application, evaluation, scoring and feedback methods, there are some differences as outlined in the Award Guide.
To apply, organizations will need three documents available for download.
- The Award Guide 2019 provides details on how to apply for a given year.
- The Intent to Apply Form (MSWord) must be provided prior to application.
- The appropriate Baldrige Criteria Guide (PDF) for the organization
- Note: Virginia SPQA’s award cycle is one year behind the current National Baldrige Program so consult the Award Guide for the appropriate version of the Baldrige Excellence Framework to use when completing the application.
If you are interested in applying for the SPQA Medallion Award or wish to learn more about the Virginia SPQA Award Program, email the Award Program Director at email@example.com or call 703-786-8671.