Virginia SPQA’s Award and Recognition Program is its premier offering. Authorized in 1982 by Resolution, the United States Senate Productivity and Quality Award pre-dates the National Baldrige Program. The oldest continuous state program of its type, Virginia SPQA administers the Award Program on behalf of the State’s US Senators who serve as Honorary Chairpersons.
Organizations receive extraordinary learning associated by applying the Baldrige Excellence Framework self-assessment methodology through an award application. This effort, coupled with independent examiner feedback noting strengths and opportunities for improvement is a unique learning experience which if otherwise outsourced could easily translate to significant consultant costs. Receiving the SPQA Medallion is recognition of being among the best performing organizations in the Commonwealth and the District of Columbia. In addition to improving organizational pride, SPQA Medallion winners have an additional tool to help manage relationships with customers, stakeholders, and more practically, rating agencies and other independent entities in search of performance validation factors.
Virginia SPQA Recognition
Although organizations apply for the Medallion for Performance Excellence, there are other levels which might be achieved. More information can be found in the Recognition Guide
- Commitment to Performance Excellence
- Progress in Performance Excellence
- Achievement in Performance Excellence
- Medallion for Performance Excellence
- Award for Continuing Excellence (ACE)
Needed to Apply
While Virginia SPQA uses the Baldrige Excellence Framework as the basis for its award application, evaluation, scoring and feedback methods, there are some differences as outlined in the Recognition Guide.
To apply, organizations will need three documents available for download.
- The Recognition Guide (PDF) provides details on how to apply for a given year.
- The Intent to Apply Form (MSWord) must be provided prior to application.
- The appropriate Baldrige Criteria Guide (PDF) for the organization (note, Virginia SPQA and Baldrige cycles are different and in some years will result in the use of previous Baldrige Criteria versions).
To learn more about the Virginia SPQA Recognition Program, contact email@example.com or call 571.215.8881.