Tri County Tech, in Bartlesville, OK, is one of five recipients of the prestigious 2018 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality award for Performance Excellence. Award recipients were honored at the annual Quest for Excellence conference, April 7, 2019.
Tri County Tech (TCT) is one of 29 public technology centers in the Oklahoma Career and Technical Education System. It serves the residents of three counties and has a vision of inspiring success through life-changing learning experiences. With a goal that no student should be denied an education due to inability to pay, TCT provides scholarships and funding for student expenses such as medication, gasoline, clothing and food. TCT has sustained top 25 percent national rankings for student completion/retention and placement for eight fiscal years. The institution also increased graduate wages to well above the national average while growing its own revenues 16 percent since 2009—without federal funding and despite a sizable reduction in state funding.
Highlights of its successes include:
- With the goal that no student should be denied access to education based on his/her ability to pay, TCT launched its own foundation. Between fiscal year (FY)2014 and FY2018, foundation scholarships grew from $60,000 to $250,000.
- Rates for completion/retention and placement for students after graduation have been in the top 25 percent nationally for eight fiscal years. TCT has also delivered the top state completion/retention rate for full-time students in five of the past seven years.
- Seventy percent of TCT’s high school program graduates move on to further education in college or adult technical schools.
- Based on the GPTW survey, TCT engagement results for most workforce segments have been in the top 10 percent nationally each year since FY2014.
Read more about Tri County Tech’s approaches to student-focused processes and results; senior leadership and community support; workforce-focused processes and results; financial and marketplace results on the press release.
The Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award is the highest level of national recognition for performance excellence that a U.S. organization can receive. The award focuses on performance in five key areas:
- Product and process outcomes
- Customer outcomes
- Workforce outcomes
- Leadership and governance outcomes
- Financial and market outcomes
To receive the award, an organization must have a system that ensures continuous improvement in overall performance in delivering products and/or services and that provides an approach for satisfying and responding to customers and stakeholders.